FOR A SYSTEM OF PROTECTED AREAS
The government of Costa Rica, through SINAC and in alliance with external partners—the Linden Trust for Conservation, Gordon and Betty Moore Foundation, Walton Family Foundation and TNC—developed the Forever Costa Rica Program (PCRXS).
- Annual Report: 2016-2017(pdf)
Forever Costa Rica Program
The Forever Costa Rica Program (PCRXS) is a national strategy to meet Costa Rica’s conservation commitments with the Convention on Biological Diversity (CBD) and its Program of Work on Protected Areas.
to achieve consolidation of a system of ecologically representative and efficiently managed protected areas adapted to the effects of climate change and with a source of sustainable financing.
- Ecological representativeness of terrestrial and coastal-marine biodiversity.
- Effective management of the PWAs.
- Adaptive capacity to climate change in the PWAs.
- Social participation and governance through timely sustainable mechanisms that are socially and
Some examples of achievements in the 2016-2017 period
Projects Financed by FCRT:
- New Wastewater Treatment System in Manuel Antonio National Park.
- Update of the Gandoca-Manzanillo Wildlife Refuge General Management Plan, Incorporating the Environmental Component as Requested by SETENA.
- Implementation of Good Practices Plan in the Lower Watershed of the Tulín River, Playa Hermosa-Punta Mala National Wildlife Refuge.
- Creation of the Cabo Blanco Marine Management Area and the Implementation of Its General Management Plan.
Thanks to the support of the FCRA, ACT now complies with the Ministry of Public Transportation’s national maritime security legislation and obtained the Certificate of Navigability for three of its boats. This investment allowed staff to increase security and protection operations, thus increasing detection of illegal activities.
Projects Financed by the Second Debt-for-Nature Swap:
- Ecological Intervention and Recovery of Mata Redonda and Corral de Piedra Wetland Ecosystems in the Lower Watershed of the Tempisque River, Tempisque Conservation Area.
- Consolidation of the Land Tenure System in Six PWAs: Tenorio Volcano NP, Turrialba Volcano NP, Irazú Volcano NP, Juan Castro Blanco NP, Iguanita NWR and Nicolás Wessberg ANR.
- Improvement of Trail Networks and Tourism Infrastructure in Six National Parks and One Wildlife Refuge; Diriá NP, Barra Honda NP, Los Quetzales NP, Carara NP, La Cangreja NP, Tenorio Volcano NP, and Iguanita NWR.
- Development and Implementation of Specific Communication Plans for 17 PWAs, with a Focus on Participatory Evidence: Osa, La Amistad-Pacífico and Tempisque Conservation Areas.
- Official methodological guide for the development and implementation of specific PWA prevention, protection and control plans.
How Much Has Been Invested between2010 and 2017?